Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Northern migrations

I have to travel from Montreal to Ottawa for a short business trip. Without thinking much about it, I purchased an Air Canada round-trip ticket. Then a colleague reminded me that it's only a two hour drive, much shorter door-to-door than actually flying. I'm used to the idea that Canada is big! So big that no one could possibly drive from one major city to another in less than half a day. OK, I'm still learning about my adoptive country.

Speaking of Canada, it's time for us to initiate new crop programs, to create a more diverse agriculture. The huge (and successful?) canadian canola crop started as an experiment to provide alternative sources of oil during WWII. My personal favorites for development today are amaranth, a high protein grain, and kenaf, an attractive alternative to wood for paper production. Although I spend my professional life studying human biology for improving medicine, it's an unavoidable truth that we humans have multiplied exponentially and that there are now a lot of us. Keeping us all healthier longer won't be much use if we can't feed ourselves or maintain our supply of clean air and water. I drive a hybrid car, it's not a perfect solution by far, but the more of us that do, the stronger the message that people want a healthy environment for themselves and their children.

Oh, by the way, I cancelled my air flight to Ottawa for an AC credit, and am hitting the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment